Brief History of the Fox Point-Bayside School District
The Fox Point-Bayside School District originated in 1852 with two log buildings. In 1874, the Fox Point Common School District was established and the Lake Holland School, a 30' x 22' structure, was built for $600 to replace the log schools.
The district was one of the first in the state to add kindergarten in 1930. On February 6, 1935, the Fox Point School was opened at 7301 North Longacre Road. Peter Stormonth was both a teacher and superintendent in the new school, which had an enrollment of 100 students. Upon his retirement in 1964, the Fox Point School was renamed the Peter Stormonth Elementary School. By 1936, students were being bused in from the northwest portion of Fox Point, and in 1941 a four-year-old kindergarten and lunch program were added.
The postwar years brought significant community growth. In 1948, the Village of Bayside acquired a school building site at 601 East Ellsworth Lane and merged with the Village of Fox Point to become the Joint #2 Fox Point-Bayside School District. Bayside School opened in 1953 to house K4-8th grade students. A third building, Dunwood School, was opened in 1955 at the corner of North Port Washington Road and East Dunwood Road.
In 1977, the district was reorganized into two schools due to declining enrollment. The Stormonth School was closed as an instructional site and repurposed into the district office. Vacated classroom space was rented to several community groups. Dunwood School was reorganized to house K4-3rd graders, and Bayside became a 4th-8th grade center.
In 1992, the district was again reorganized upon the completion of a $4.5 million renovation of the Peter Stormonth Elementary School, servicing K4-4th grade students. Bayside School became a middle school for grades 5-8. A $3.8 million renovation was completed at Bayside Middle School in 1998.
Today both schools enjoy state-of-the-art technology and attractive classrooms.
Click here to learn more about Stormonth Elementary School and Bayside Middle School.